This installation guide is intended to be used to assist you during the installation of your
Sony 7000, 5600, 5500, 3200 or 150 4Runner Plug and Play Bundle from Trail Grid Pro.
Sony Bundle Installation Video
Sony Microphone Install
Sony Microphone Mount Video
Installing your bundle
1. The Body – Consists of the head unit and our custom wiring harness.
You’re going to install this first.
Sony Bundle Notes: Your Sony bundle will arrive with the dash kit cover detached from the body of the bundle – this will be different than shown in the video in this guide. The new Metra kit now utilizes the 4 factory 10mm bolts to secure the body of your head unit into the dash.
- Make all your vehicle connections as noted in the document below. We’ve drawn a red box around the vehicle connectors you’ll be using for your installation, which are 2, 4 & 5. Vehicle connectors 1 & 3 will not be used.
- All the plugs are keyed plugs, which means they only fit their match on the Toyota side. All you’re doing is matching plugs – it may look like a lot of wires but it’s simple.
You will be using vehicle connectors 2, 4 & 5
- Next, secure the backup camera connection harness labeled CAM-TY12 (connect the female side of the CAM TY12 to the factory video harness), Sirius/XM satellite connection (if applicable), AM/FM antenna connection, Sony supplied microphone and the USB retention cable connection. Make sure you leave the hazard button connection accessible as you will plug it in when you’re connecting the dash kit.
- DO NOT POWER ON YOUR HEAD-UNIT BEFORE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE MADE. This will cause an error when the PAC module is trying to calibrate to your vehicle.
More Install Tips Regarding The Components Of Your Sony Bundle
To secure your backup camera connection, ensure the female side of the backup camera harness labeled CAM TY12 is plugged into the factory video connection. The connectors are keyed, so they’ll only fit their mate.
2. The Dash Kit - Your new Silver or Charcoal Metra 4Runner Dash Cover.
You’re going to install this second.
- Transfer your vents, trim pieces, and install the hazard button trim to the dash kit just like in the video below.
- Small yellow clips: Please use the small yellow tab clips provided with our bundle to attach to the four tabs on the back of our dash kit. They are more robust than the factory clips and hold our bundle more securely.
- Make sure to connect the hazard button wire before installing the dash kit into your dash, over the body of the bundle.
Use a Factory USB Cable: Using a factory phone cable when making your connection for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is a MUST. When I say factory, I mean just like the cable that originally came with your phone. It cannot be a cable that you bought from Amazon or from the grocery store – those are only charging cables in most cases, not charging and data cables. Also, remember – phone cables don’t last forever. If you ever have connectivity issues in the future – I’d try to swap your cable for a new one.
Android Auto: Download the Android Auto app from the GooglePlay. If you’re experiencing issues with Android Auto, here is a decent video that walks you through some troubleshooting of Android Auto. The head unit shown in this video is not a Sony, so just focus on the general troubleshooting aspects.