Install Guide for your 2012 – 2015 Tacoma that has an amplified system and had a backup camera in the head unit.
This installation guide is intended to be used to assist you during the installation of your
Sony 7000, 5600, 5500, 3200 or 150 Tacoma Plug and Play Bundle from Trail Grid Pro.
Sony Bundle Installation Video
Tacoma Microphone Install
OBD2 Plug Install
Routing OBD2 Plug
Adding Front Facing USB
Installing your bundle
1. The Bundle – Consists of the head unit and our custom wiring harness.
You’re Going To Install This First!
- Make all your vehicle connections as noted in the document below. We’ve drawn a red box around the vehicle connectors you’ll be using for your installation, which are 1, 3 & the OBD2 port. Vehicle connectors 2, 4 and 5 will not be used.
- All the plugs are keyed plugs, which means they only fit their match on the Toyota side. All you’re doing is matching plugs – it may look like a lot of wires but it’s simple.
You will be using vehicle connectors 1, 3 & OBD2
- Next, secure the backup camera connection harness labeled CAM-TY12 (connect the female side of the CAM TY12 to the factory video harness), Sirius/XM satellite connection (if applicable), AM/FM antenna connection, Sony supplied microphone and the USB retention cable connection.
- DO NOT POWER ON YOUR HEAD-UNIT BEFORE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE MADE. This will cause an error when the PAC module is trying to calibrate to your vehicle.
More Install Tips Regarding The Components Of Your Sony Bundle
To secure your backup camera connection, ensure the female side of the backup camera harness labeled CAM TY12 is plugged into the factory video connection. The connectors are keyed, so they’ll only fit their mate.
OBD-2 Plug (2012-2015 Tacoma):
- You can find the OBD-2 connection under your steering column just above the brake pedal.
- The small end of the OBD-2 plug will connect to a small white plug just down the wiring harness from vehicle connectors 1 through 5.
- Remove the current connector first, then plug in the small end of the OBD-2. The OBD-2 plug maintains your reverse signal. This is only applicable to 2012 – 2015 Tacoma with their reverse camera in their head unit.
2. The Dash Kit - Your new matte black Tacoma dash kit.
Tacoma Faceplate: In your kit there are two faceplates. One is already attached to your completed bundle, and the other is wrapped in a separate cover in your shipping box. We always attach the larger of the two covers with your completed bundle (as a higher percentage of Tacoma’s use the larger version) but if it’s not the correct size for your truck simply swap the faceplates before installation by unscrewing the 4 faceplate screws that secure it to the side brackets.
Using a factory phone cable when making your connection for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is a MUST. When I say factory, I mean just like the cable that originally came with your phone. It cannot be a cable that you bought from Amazon or from the grocery store – those are only charging cables in most cases, not charging and data cables. Also, remember – phone cables don’t last forever. If you ever have connectivity issues in the future – I’d try to swap your cable for a new one.