This installation guide is intended to be used to assist you during the installation of your
Sony 7000, 5600, 5500, 3200 or 150 Tacoma Plug and Play Bundle from Trail Grid Pro.
Sony Bundle Installation Video
Tacoma Microphone Install
Installing your bundle
1. The Body - Consists of the head unit and our custom wiring harness.
You're going to install this first.
- Make all your vehicle connections as noted in the document below. We've drawn a red box around the vehicle connectors you'll be using for your installation, which are 2, 4 & 5. Vehicle connectors 1 & 3 will not be used.
- All the plugs are keyed plugs, which means they only fit their match on the Toyota side. All you're doing is matching plugs - it may look like a lot of wires but it's simple.
You will be using vehicle connectors 2, 4 & 5
- Next, secure the backup camera connection harness labeled CAM-TY12 (connect the female side of the CAM TY12 to the factory video harness), Sirius/XM satellite connection (if applicable), AM/FM antenna connection, Sony supplied microphone and the USB retention cable connection.
- DO NOT POWER ON YOUR HEAD-UNIT BEFORE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE MADE. This will cause an error when the PAC module is trying to calibrate to your vehicle.
More Install Tips Regarding The Components Of Your Sony Bundle
- Backup Camera Harness
- AM/FM Antenna Adapter
- USB Retention Cable
- Sony Microphone
- Sirius/XM Retention
To secure your backup camera connection, ensure the female side of the backup camera harness labeled CAM TY12 is plugged into the factory video connection. The connectors are keyed, so they’ll only fit their mate.
Your bundle will come equipped with a antenna adapter that will be plugged into the lower left hand corner of the rear of the chassis. Please make sure you plug in the factory antenna plug into our antenna adapter.
Our bundle maintains your factory USB location under your head unit for connection for Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. Please ensure you plug in the factory USB plug into our USB retention harness.
You will need to use the provided Sony microphone with our bundle. We have included our new microphone mount with your bundle.
You may also choose to mount the microphone without using our new mount. Watch this regarding how to install: Tacoma Microphone Install
2016+: If you selected “Maintain Sirius/XM” at checkout, you’ll receive the STO2.
Maestro STO2: This will already be attached to your new Sirius/XM tuner. The tuner is located underneath the rear chassis of the Sony radio.
Utilize the factory satellite antenna cable that was plugged in to the back of your factory radio to plug into the provided adapter.
You will not use the antenna from the SXV300 (which is located in your parts bag) since the STO2 will maintain your factory satellite antenna.
Inside the dash you may find several square plugs of varying colors (i.e. white, gray or black).
- White – Factory Navigation (No longer needed)
- Gray or Black – Factory Sirius XM Antenna
- Connect your XM tuner adapter to either the gray or black plug.
2. The Dash Kit - Your new matte black Tacoma dash kit.
- Tacoma Faceplate: In your kit there are two faceplates. One is already attached to your completed bundle, and the other is wrapped in a separate cover in your shipping box. We always attach the larger of the two covers with your completed bundle (as a higher percentage of Tacoma's use the larger version) but if it's not the correct size for your truck simply swap the faceplates before installation by unscrewing the 4 faceplate screws that secure it to the side brackets.
Use a Factory USB Cable: Using a factory phone cable when making your connection for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is a MUST. When I say factory, I mean just like the cable that originally came with your phone. It cannot be a cable that you bought from Amazon or from the grocery store - those are only charging cables in most cases, not charging and data cables. Also, remember - phone cables don't last forever. If you ever have connectivity issues in the future - I'd try to swap your cable for a new one.
Android Auto: Download the Android Auto app from the GooglePlay. If you're experiencing issues with Android Auto, here is a decent video that walks you through some troubleshooting of Android Auto. The head unit shown in this video is not a Sony, so just focus on the general troubleshooting aspects.