This installation guide is intended to be used to assist you during the installation of your
2016-2019 Sony 9500ES Tacoma Plug and Play Bundle from Trail Grid Pro.
Installing your bundle
1. The Body – Consists of the head unit and our custom wiring harness.
- Make all your vehicle connections as noted in the document below. Shown below are the vehicle connectors you’ll be using for your installation, which are the 4 factory looking connectors from the Maestro RR module.
- All the plugs are keyed plugs, which means they only fit their match on the Toyota side. All you’re doing is matching plugs – it may look like a lot of wires but it’s simple.
- Important Update: Your bundle will arrive with the OBD harness attached to the back of your bundle. It will need to be plugged in to the OBD port under your steering column in order to retain your: backup camera functionality, gauges and more! This is not shown in the video but you will need to complete this step before powering on your head unit.
You Will Be Connecting:
4 Connectors From The Maestro Harness
USB Retention Adapter
Factory Navigation Adapter
AM/FM Radio Adapter
Sirius XM Tuner (If Selected)
- DO NOT POWER ON YOUR HEAD-UNIT BEFORE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE MADE. This will cause an error when the Maestro RR module is trying to initialize to your vehicle.
More Install Tips Regarding The Components Of Your Sony Bundle
The backup camera is apart of the Maestro RR harness, so the rear camera wire will already be plugged into the rear camera RCA.
2. The Dash Kit: Your new matte black Tacoma dash kit.
Tacoma Faceplate: In your kit there are two faceplates. One is already attached to your completed bundle, and the other is wrapped in a separate cover in your shipping box. We always attach the larger of the two covers with your completed bundle (as a higher percentage of Tacoma’s use the larger version) but if it’s not the correct size for your truck simply swap the faceplates before installation by unscrewing the 4 faceplate screws that secure it to the side brackets.
3. The 9500ES Screen
You’re going to install this last.
- Attach/slide the Sony 9500ES screen into the body.
- After placing the Sony 9500ES screen into the body, but before securing the screws in place, test all the functions of the radio before proceeding.
- After you confirmed that the unit functions correctly, screw in the provided 4 silver screws, securing the Sony 9500 screen to the body (2 on each side of the neck of the Sony 9500ES). For this step, we recommend you use a magnetic tip Phillips-head screwdriver if you have it, as the two outside screws are set down farther than the other two.
- Slide the small black cover on the neck of the Sony 9500ES toward you to line up the final screw location.
- Screw in the one black screw in the middle (in the middle of the neck of the Sony 9500ES).
- You have completed installation of your new Sony Bundle! Congratulations!
Download the Android Auto app from the GooglePlay. If you’re experiencing issues with Android Auto, here is a decent video that walks you through some troubleshooting of Android Auto. The head unit shown in this video is not a Sony, so just focus on the general troubleshooting aspects.