This installation guide is intended to be used to assist you during the installation of your
Toyota 4Runner Sony 8100 Plug & Play Bundle from Trail Grid Pro.
Sony 8100 Complete Install Video
Sony Microphone Install
OBD2 Plug Install
Routing OBD2 Plug
Sony Microphone Mount Install
Adding Front Facing USB
Installing your bundle
1. The Body – Consists of the head unit and our custom wiring harness.
You’re going to install this first. See all installation videos below.
Sony 8100 Bundle Notes: Your Sony 8100 bundle will arrive with the screen detached from the body of the bundle. The brand new Metra dash kit now utilizes the 4 factory 10mm bolts to secure the body of your head unit into the dash. You’re one of the first to receive their updated and more secure dash kit! This will slightly change the installation from our video, but if you follow these instructions in conjunction with the Sony 8100 install video, you’ll be all set!
- Make all your vehicle connections as noted in the document below. We’ve drawn a red box around the vehicle connectors you’ll be using for your installation, which are 3, 4, 5 & OBD2. Vehicle connectors 1 & 2 will not be used.
- All the plugs are keyed plugs, which means they only fit their match on the Toyota side. All you’re doing is matching plugs – it may look like a lot of wires but it’s simple.
You will be using vehicle connectors 3, 4, 5 & OBD2
- Next, secure the backup camera connection harness labeled CAM-TY12 (connect the female side of the CAM TY12 to the factory video harness), Sirius/XM satellite connection (if applicable), AM/FM antenna connection, Sony supplied microphone and the USB retention cable connection.
- DO NOT POWER ON YOUR HEAD-UNIT BEFORE ALL CONNECTIONS ARE MADE. This will cause an error when the PAC module is trying to calibrate to your vehicle
More Install Tips Regarding The Components Of Your Sony Bundle
To secure your backup camera connection, ensure the female side of the backup camera harness labeled CAM TY12 is plugged into the factory video connection. The connectors are keyed, so they’ll only fit their mate.
- You can find the OBD-2 connection under your steering column just above the brake pedal.
- The small end of the OBD-2 plug will connect to a small white plug just down the wiring harness from vehicle connectors 1 through 5.
- Remove the current connector first, then plug in the small end of the OBD-2. The OBD-2 plug maintains your reverse signal. This is only applicable to 2010 – 2013 4Runners with their reverse camera in their head unit.
**This is not applicable to those with their reverse camera in their rearview mirror.**
2. The Dash Kit: Your new Silver or Charcoal Metra 4Runner dash cover.
You’re going to install this second.
- Transfer your vents, trim pieces, and install the hazard button trim to the dash kit just like in the video.
- Small yellow clips: Please use the small yellow tab clips; supplied in the bundle, to attach to the four tabs on the back of our dash kit. They are more robust than the factory clips and hold our bundle in place better.
- Make sure to connect the hazard button wire before installing the dash kit.
3. The Sony 8100 Screen: The Sony 8100 screen display, supporting pieces and trim.
You’re going to install this last.
1. Attach the USB cable connected to the front of the body to the USB location on the rear of the Sony 8100 screen.
2. Place the wire in the provided channel on the rear of the Sony 8100 screen.
3. Attach the two rear panels to the back of the Sony 8100 screen on each side of the neck of the system. These slide into place from the top down. One has a slot that fits over the USB cable.
4. Attach/slide the Sony 8100 screen into the body.
5. After placing the Sony 8100 screen into the body, but before securing the screws in place, test all the functions of the radio before proceeding.
6. After you confirmed that the unit functions correctly, screw in the provided 4 silver screws, securing the Sony 8100 screen to the body (2 on each side of the neck of the Sony 8100). For this step, we recommend you use a magnetic tip Phillips-head screwdriver if you have it, as the two outside screws are set down farther than the other two.
7. Slide the small black cover on the neck of the Sony 8100 toward you to line up the final screw location.
8. Screw in the one black screw in the middle (in the middle of the neck of the Sony 8100).
9. You have completed installation of your new Sony Bundle! Congratulations!
Using a factory phone cable when making your connection for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is a MUST. When I say factory, I mean just like the cable that originally came with your phone. It cannot be a cable that you bought from Amazon or from the grocery store – those are only charging cables in most cases, not charging and data cables. Also, remember – phone cables don’t last forever. If you ever have connectivity issues in the future – I’d try to swap your cable for a new one.